So what sorts of things does a
Service Dog do? Here's a list that names a few:
- Open Doors with Pull Cord.
- Open Doors with line with "D" ring attached
to his vest or harness.
- Opens doors with pushing handicap button.
- Closes doors.
- Closes cabinets and drawers on command that
are within his reach.
- Picks items up that I drop on command.
- Retrieves phone that is ringing off base.
- Retrieves cell phone for me.
- Hands shoes up to me once I slip them off.
- Takes socks off and hands them to me.
- Places laundry in basket.
- Pulls laundry basket to laundry room.
- Hands all the laundry to me to place in
- Holds items in mouth on command.
- Drops items on command.
- Can do a sit stay for 5-10 minutes without
- Can do a down stay for 5-10 minutes without
- Excellent recall without leash from up to 15
feet or longer.
- Can do down stay with owner up to 4 hours.
- Can do a sit stay for 1 hour with owner.
- Retrieves remote control from various spots
in the house.
- Takes and covers owner up with blankets.
- Takes blankets off owner.
- Alerts to breathing equipment not working
- Alerts to low potassium and irregular heart
- Assists in stopping spasms by placing direct
pressure on foot, legs, or arms.
Walks with special harness.
- Trained to go with scooter, power chair,
walker, and manual chair.
- Leads out, Right, Left, Halt, Forward, Whoa,
- Working on doing each step at a time on
steep stair case.
- Picks items off shelf in store on command.
- Picks items up off foot rest and hands to
owner or places on counter.
- Retrieves groceries in canvass bag.
- Retrieves items by name and point system.
- Carry basket with a few selected items in.
- Can brace while own gets up or down from
- Assist owner off floor if she has fallen.
- Runs the vaccum cleaner Roomba by hitting
the button on command to start it and when it
stops he can retarget the button to restart it.
- Fetch and hand a reacher to his owner.
- Toss garbage in trash can.
- Moves items out of the way to get down isle
- Can bring manual wheelchair to me on command
- Open the
refrigerator and get a pop out of it and bring
it to me on command.
- Taking items between people on command.
- Alerting to emergency situations.
- Goes for help if problem.
- Retrieves medication if needed.
- Closes dishwasher
- Turns lights on and off with regular switch.
- Open doors with pushing handicapped button.
- Walks with a special harness to help his
owner steady when she walks
- Can open refrigerator door and get a pop out
and give it to me and
close the door.
- Can open and close drawers.
- Can open and close cabinet doors for owner.
- Alerts to dropped medication on the floor.